31 August 2014

consistency

On this day last year, I took a look at my run logs going back to the summer of 2011 and I didn't like what I saw.  I had the occasional month in the 70-95 mile range but I had a lot in the 20-40 range as well as a few zero mile months.  My running was following a pretty predictable cycle - start running a couple of months prior to a fitness eval,  ramp up the mileage after it was done, get hurt, stop running. I made a decision at that point to be more consistent with my running.  

Flash forward to today and I have run 1425.5 miles since Sept 1st, 2013. 43 of the 52 weeks were at least 20 miles, 23 were over 30 miles and four got over the 40 mile mark. Also, 50 of the 52 weeks had three or more runs.  Along the way, I knocked out 14 races ranging from a 5K up through my first marathon and have stayed relatively injury free. 

The big difference for me was that instead of finding time to run, I made time for it.  On most workdays, I am up and outside by 0430 so I have time to get in 3-6 miles and still have time to prep and get to work.  On weekends, I often get in a longer run or two and am outside early so I am back in time to spend the day with the family. Goal setting was also important and signing up for races (especially my first half marathon and marathon) gave me something tangible to prep for.

Going into the 12 months, I plan on cycling more and getting more running in on trails.  I am not going to put a specific number out there but the plan is to do several duathlons and a century ride in addition to some road and trail running races.

No comments: